Monday, November 5, 2007

The Backwards Flying Taxi Plane

As we’re standing in the parking lot of Cross Roads Mall a 20 seat executive jet comes into the picture flying backwards. As we stare at this strange site, to our amazement, it lands in the parking lot! Several people shuffle off and some people get on. There are a group of Thai tourists standing there apparently trying to figure out if this is their plane. So I step in to translate. “Pai nai?” I ask. “Pai Wurzbach khrup.” They respond. So I ask the pilot. “Excuse me, are you going to Wurzbach and I-10?” To which he replies, “yes! I don’t have time for this, either get on or move out of the doorway!” Geez. Why is he so agitated? “Gi Chuamong?” The Thais ask me. So I ask the driver “how long will the trip take?” “15 mins!” he yells. Hmm, that’s only 2 exits up the highway, why would it take so long? Just then he reaches up, turns off the engine and switches off his FAA beacon. “You see that?” he asks “I just shut off my beacon. According to FAA regulations that must be running at all times while I am in operation. At this point this plane is nothing more than a big piece of worthless metal. I can’t go anywhere because you guys won’t move out of the doorway and into your seats.” He yells. Man, why is he being so dramatic. We’ve been standing here for like 30 seconds. I’m just trying to get these folks on the correct plane. So we take our seat and after another dramatic pause he restarts the engine and the beacon. At that he begins to drive out of the parking lot and down the highway, backwards, on his wheels.

No comments: